Vegan & GF Blueberry Scones with Blood Orange Glaze
I was itchin' to make some scones. I like to have a few baked goods in the cake stand for snacks. I found this recipe on Pinterest and made it late in the evening. I'm convinced I can make it a better recipe because the dough was on the dry side. Until then, here's the recipe I used. If you have any suggestions, please share. I had a ton of request for this on Instagram so here ya go...
Blueberry Scones with Blood Orange Glaze
½ cup blueberries
¾ cup almond milk
1 cup coconut milk full fat (Make sure to use the thick part of the can FIRST)
1 tbsp. baking powder
2 cups gluten free flour mix (I used TJ’s brand)
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Coconunt Oil Spray (Or whatever you have on hand)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and Line a 9 by 12 baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, salt & baking powder. Mix until combined.
3. In separate bowl combine almond milk, and vanilla. Open Coconut milk and use the top thick portion of the can to measure a cup. Combine all wet ingredients.
4. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients with a spatula until combined and then add blueberries.
5. Prepare a surface to knead dough one with a small amount of GF flour. Gently knead dough in the bowl with your hands and then transfer to the prepared surface. Knead until it stays together.
6. Use a floured rolling pin to spread out the dough to about 1 inch in thickness. Use a cookie cutter or jar top to cut out scone shapes. Transfer to Baking pan.
7. Spray the scones with cooking spray. I used coconut oil. Then bake for 25-30 minutes.
8. Cool in pan for about 5 minutes before removing. Store in a airtight container.
9. To make the blood orange glaze combine 1/3 cup of powdered sugar with the juice of half a blood orange. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over scones. To make thicker, add more sugar or let the mixture sit for a couple minutes to thicken.